Logo - Small Wisconsin Map highlighting Area 75
Alcoholics Anonymous in Southern Wisconsin
Alcoholic’s Anonymous – Area 75
Alcoholic’s Anonymous – Area 75
Summer Service Assembly
Monona Community Center


2009 Summer Service Assembly

Nancy H., Area Chairperson; Stu E, Delegate; John B, Alt Delegate/Literature; JD O., Secretary; Cynthia H., Alt Secretary; Doreen H., Alt. Treasurer

George P., Grapevine Chair; George B., Conf. Adv. Com. Chair; Les M., Corrections Chair; Randy R., CPC Chair; Liz Y., PI Chair; Fred K., Treatment Chair; Lee Ann F., Special Needs Chair; David K., Archives Chair; Nancy S., Archivist; Kathy W., Registrar

D1-Tom N.; D8- Bridgett A.; D9-Ted K.; D11-Ric C.; D12- Terry H.; D13 Leslie F.; D15-Brent W.; D16- Theresa W.; D17-John H.;D20-Brent B.; D24-Matt K.; D27-Marty S.; D29-Alt DCM, Lynn G.; D31- Benjamin B.; D32-John C.; D34-Drew A.;D36-Barb W.

D1-Margala H., Jeanette S.; D2-Jim D., Bob T.; D3-Scot M.; D4; D6; D7-Brenda A., Beth M.; D8-Toni M., Dave C., Sandy W.; D9-Susan R.; D10; D11; D12 - Cathi W.; D13-Sylvia Y., Donna W, Phylis R. Mel F., Mark G., Rich B.; D14; D15-Jeff P.; D16-Dick H., Cheryl M.; D17-Tara H.; D19; D20-Dave J., Lisa T.; D22; D24-Chris J., Jarred R., Linda R., John K.;D25- Angie S., David D., Jeff Z.; D27; D28-Terry R.; D29-Dennis D.; D30-Joel B., Joe H.; D31-Charlie E., Amy Sue N.; D32-George D., Howard P., Rick M., Susan B., Carl H., RJ E., Kurt H.; D34-Chris L., Nancy A., Erin J.; D35; D36-Pew W.

OTHERS PRESENT: Past Delegates: Joan J., Bill A., Ken G., Jo Mc., Nancy G.; George P.; Spring Conf. 2009 Chair – Dennis L., Fall Conf. Chair 2009 – Jeff Z., Spring Conf. 2010 Chair – Robert S., Spring Conf 2011 Chair – Terry R.; Spring Conf. 2012 – Brent B.; Central Offices – Milwaukee Central Office, MAICO;


Roll call and minutes approved.


Doreen H. Alternate Treasurer gave the Finance Committee Report for Todd U.

Problems on that checks do not receive GSO # on the checks and can’t track the contributions to a specific group.

Request to have expense reports submitted so we can get an accurate amount of monies that can be used to carry the message.

Question on the balance including the Prudent Reserve. Response – no the balance of $13K does not include the Prudent Reserve which is $5,000 set by Assembly Action.

Motion to approve the Treasurer’s report. Approved by the Assembly.
Todd U, Doreen H, Joan J, Leo M, Matt Z, Drew A,
  1. Contributions continue to be received without any indication of the, GSO number, District #, or the name of Group that is making the contribution.
  2. Checks are also still being sent to past treasurer.
  3. Please also make a note that checks should be made out to Area 75 Treasurer, not SWAC, Rainbow Fund or Count on Us
  4. Rainbow fund getting quite large lots of contributions.
  5. Expenses and contributions to date:




    YTD Income

    $ 15204.42

    $ 7,415.63

    Rainbow Out

    $ (903.45)

    $ (1,566.90)both

    Count on Us Out

    $ (132.72)

    YTD Expenses

    $ (11,755.30)

    $ (7,023.76)

    Checking Balance

    $ 20,313.74

    $ 5,193.21

    Prudent Reserve

    $ 5,000.00

    $ 3,350.00

    COU Balance

    $ 715.84

    $ 197.56

    Rainbow Balance

    $ 2,393.90

    $ 1,374.22

    Usable Balance

    $ 13,052.56

    $ 271.43

    Seed Money

    $ 3,000.00

    $ 3,000.00

    Net Worth

    $ 23,37413.

    $ 8,193.21

  6. Expenses compared to budget:



Variance YTD

Percent used


$ 1,253.82





$ 2,898.59





$ 871.60




Alt. Delegate

$ -





$ -





$ 400.38





$ 1,136.26





$ 719.67





$ 591.77





$ 274.24




Public Info.

$ 318.03





$ 194.33




Spcl. Needs

$ 2,312.44





$ 124.58




Alt. Chair

$ -




Alt. Secretary

$ -




Alt. Treasurer

$ 159.59




Archives Chair

$ 11,255.30

$ 28,132.31

$ 16,877.01


Total Expenses

  1. Expenses by category


YTD Total

YTD 08

$ 38.00

Bank Charges

$ 450.00

Conference Booth Fee


$ 1,200.00

GSO Fees


$ -


$ 101.42



$ 1,061.73



$ 767.41



$ 3,713.23



$ 703.81

Misc/Office Expense


$ 367.17



$ 575.53



$ 271.00

Registration Fees


$ 806.00



$ 1,200.00

Archives Rent



$ -

Web Site

$ -


$ -

$ 11,255.30

Total Expenses

$ 7023.76

*Note 2008 was before Spring Conference
Activities since the April Pre-Conference Assembly have included

Our next meeting will be back at the Madison Senior Center on September 27th.

I want to thank District 27 for doing the coffee at today’s meeting.

Envelopes with information on the AA at the VA conference in October are available today for DCM’s and Area Committee Chairs and Officers to pick up. Packets of save the date flyers for the spring conference, labeled by district, for DCM’s to pick up are on the table in the back of the room.

I hope to have the dates set for our 2010 meetings by our September meeting. If anyone is interested in serving on an ad-hoc committee to review current assembly actions regarding meetings to determine if any changes are needed and to look at dates for 2010 please contact me.

Please contact me if you would like me to visit your District Meeting or participate in an event. I would love to visit each district during this rotation.

Yours in service,
Nancy H.

Our next meeting is September 27th at the Madison Senior Center and since we have not received any proposals, we will not be voting on any proposals, but will have Area 75 Business to consider.

Comment on the miscommunication on the Summer Service Assembly being listed as being held at the Madison Senior Center on the Area 75 website. It was noted that it was correctly listed in the Spring Pre-conference minutes that it would be held at the Monona Community Center.


Good morning and welcome all to the Area 75 Summer Service Assembly.

Since that awesome Spring Conference, I have heard from two members of A.A.’s service structure outside Area 75 whose messages I particularly would like to share with you.

On June 30th, A.A. Grapevine Executive Editor Robin B. participated in an excellent Grapevine workshop held in Fond du Lac. Robin related to me afterwards that she thoroughly enjoyed the District 25 Grapevine Workshop. She said it was a great opportunity to hear what folks are thinking about the Grapevine and to bring that back to the office. She added that it is a delightful, warmhearted district, and it was great to be with you all.

I have had several conversations by phone and by email with East Central Regional Trustee Pamela R. Pam said she feels very grateful to have spent her first Trustee assignment in Area 75 at our Spring Conference, that everyone was so warm, friendly and receptive. She assures us that she will be visiting again as soon as possible. She would like to do that very soon, but does feel obligated to visit the other thirteen areas in the region before repeating visits. I have told her the welcome mat is out anytime she can make it.

Both remarked on the warmth of the hospitality and the excellent sharing that was apparent during their visits. I made it a point to spotlight the excellent service work that our various committees are doing at both the area and district levels. They each made it a point to meet as many of you as possible and you have decidedly influenced their service with your fine example.

Right now, I want to personally congratulate each of our service committees here. Every time I visit one of your committee meetings, I hear of your recent efforts to carry our message. I cannot recall a time when more exceptional work has been done at all levels in this area! And I want to thank the many members who have come up to me in my travels, especially the GSR’s, who have had so many things to say about their service and have been so very kind in their appreciation of my own efforts to deliver an understandable report on the General Service Conference. I am awed and humbled by you.

In the course of my own duties, I have delivered a shortened version of the Delegate’s Report on the 59th General Service Conference at the June Secretaries’ Meeting at Greater Milwaukee Central Office, at District 12 in Washington County, and at District 1 in Sparta. In each case, my report was followed by informal but insightful questions and constructive service input from members.

As I have been out and about, I have visited several open meetings, one WICYPAA event, and the WI/U.P. Corrections Conference. Right now, the GSC Report & Charter Committee, of which I am a member, is busy reviewing the draft manuscript of the final report on the 59th General Service Conference.

We learned just after Memorial Day that the 2009-2010 editions of the Eastern U.S., Western U.S., and Canada A.A. Directories will not be published this year as previously planned. This is a cost saving measure with reported savings of about $35,000.00 in 2009. Ordinarily, our Literature Chair would be reporting this to you, but there is a bit more I need to share about it. Those directories are also a responsibility of the Conference Committee on Report & Charter. Previous decisions regarding their publication have been made by the General Service Conference, except in 2007. In that year, problems related to the software used to produce them and the expiration of the license to use that software made the decision for us. Still, discussions happened at meetings of the General Service Board. In the case of 2009, the decision appears to have been made inside the General Service Office. The trustees and other members of the General Service Conference were not notified until well after the decision was made. We are told now that the AAWS Board was aware. The timing put the decision less than a month after the General Service Conference, where there seemed to have been several opportunities to simply say that such a move was being weighed. That did not happen. There are discussions going on amongst the delegates and amongst some members of the General Service Board. An effort is being made to ensure that YOUR needs as groups and members are being fully considered when such unusual measures are needed. I know some of you rely on the directories and I know not all of you have internet service or computers. I have stated that where it has needed to be said. The best service is done when all levels of the service structure participate to arrive at a fully informed group conscience. So we find ourselves once again tackling the subject of communicating fully and effectively in order to serve you as you ought to be served by your trusted servants.
I have no new 2009 financial information to report right now. I have asked for any updates that might become available. If that happens this summer, I will communicate them to you right away. Meanwhile, please know that any contributions you or your groups can make will help.

That said, I do want to remind everybody that for every one thing we could maybe handle better, A.A. does a hundred things extremely well. We do continue to make progress and, on the whole, more services are available to us all than ever before in the history of this great Fellowship.

A thank you to all the districts which send us your meeting minutes on a regular basis. I confess that, on occasion, I did get a little behind in my reading as other duties needed to be performed. I will be catching up soon.

Just a reminder, I am available to any district which would like me to come to your monthly meeting to deliver a shortened version of the Delegate’s Report on the 59th General Service Conference. Also, please get those registrations in for the ECR Conference in Peoria in August and for the ECR Forum in November in Kalamazoo. The Forum is an especially great place to meet members of the GSO staff and the General Service Board, to learn what they do and to learn about general service.

In closing, let me say thank you yet again for the opportunity and the privilege of serving as your Area 75 Delegate.

Yours in Recovery and Service,

Stu E.
Panel 59 Area 75 (So. WI) Delegate

Comment from the floor about the Directory – most phone #’s are out of date in the directory; that more people are finding meetings through the Internet. Who is really being served by the Directory? Response: different groups that may not use the Internet – truck drivers; people without access to computers; motorcyclists, etc. still find the directory useful.

Question about who will be filling the Group Services Spot at GSO at July 13th, 2009.

REGISTRAR REPORT – Nancy H. for Kathy W.

Stu requested that I give my opinion regarding the following two items:

  1. The information on page 11 of the July, 2009 GRAPEVINE regarding GSO planning to have group update forms available on the www.aa.org website by the end of the summer that anyone may fill out with new group information.

  1. The possibility of having group update forms available on the website, so GSR’s and/or DCM’s could update the information.

As your registrar, my opinion on both these issues is the same. I feel that the data should be accessible by DCM’s in a “read only” format.

The reasons I feel this way are as follows:

  1. New group information forms and update forms that are submitted to me, often have incorrect or incomplete data. For instance, a new group form will be submitted for a group that is already registered. GSR’s fill out an update forms without a last name or address. If the information is put into the database incorrectly, the group may not be listed in the database which defeats the purpose which is to provide meeting information.

  1. If the DCM had “read only” access then they could keep their group updates current.

  1. Area 75 has a website that the districts are to keep current, and we have found on the Area level this does not always work. By using the Area registrar, hopefully the information is submitted on a regular basis.

  1. However, in keeping with the Traditions, I hope that whatever decision is made, we all work towards what is good for AA as a whole, and not what our personal feelings might.

Yours in Service,

Kathy West
Area 75 Registrar


I would like to thank Area 75 for allowing me to serve you. It’s quite an honor. One of the things that I would like to do is carry the message to the Districts about Corrections. I would like to welcome other committee members to join me at future workshops to share their messages. Also, I would be willing to attend District Meetings.

On June 17th, Stu and I went to Glendale for a resource fair. We handed out literature. There were approximately 100 probation and parole persons in the office that stopped at our table and asked questions. It was a very good outing.

The 14th Annual Wisconsin UP conference in Appleton on June 27th went very well. There were good panel speakers, good food, fellowship, and a lot of good information.

I also received a letter from Nancy H., from Prairie Du Chien Correctional Institution in regards to attending their re-entry fair on October 5th, 2009. I will be getting in touch with them about this.

We’re always in need of temporary contacts for people being released to their first AA meeting on the outside.

Correspondence – they’re always looking for writers for inmates that might not have meetings on the inside.

Contributions are needed for the rainbow funds. If you need rainbow cans please let me know.

In Service,



June 28, 2009
Treatment Committee
Fred K. – Area 75 Treatment Chair
Rick B. – District 13 Treatment Chair
Sue B. – District 32 GSR interested party
RJ E. – District 32 GSR interested party
Toni M. – District 8 GSR “fill-in” for District Treatment Chair
Matt K. – District 24 DCM
Kurt H. – District 32 GSR interested party

Went over existing Area 75 treatment info forms – to discuss effectiveness, questions, and updates.

Now have from WI. Dept of Health a 2004 directory of Treatment facility book – will try to get most recent directory - possibly obtain in Excel format to sort and get info to DCM’s for distribution to Treatment Chairs.

Discussion about existing BTG form not being very effective for new shorter Treatment stays – brainstormed about trying to get people “hooked-up” right away; came up with the potential idea of having a phone line for treatment similar to a “hotline” # - committee will some research before any action is taken.

Along this thought process - potential of printing a new business card with Area website listed along with a phone number that would be universal and could continue being used for future rotations – would be less wasteful and more cost effective. Most importantly, a newcomer leaving treatment more easily access AA.

Several districts seem to be experiencing difficulty carrying meetings into the treatment facilities due to insurance and HIPPA issues, not sure what action if any to take at this point, but definitely things to address here in the future.

When the updated directory is obtained from the State, would like to email all of the Treatment centers in our Area to let them know how AA can be of assistance to them.

Will email all Area 75 DCMs again to try to update each District’s contact list. The initial effort met with poor response, so will try again.

Question from the floor – the listing of Treatment Facilities from the state is it inpatient or outpatient. Response – both.


PI Chairperson report, June 28, 2009

May 21, attended GE health fair with Bob M. Gave out some literature, made contact with a few referring agencies. As usual, the main question was, “Where do we find AA meetings?”

Contacted by the campus radio station in Platteville. They would like to be airing an AA public service announcement. They have been very informative regarding how the media handles PSAs. I am in the process of making a local contact for them in district 9 and supplying them with what they need.

Upcoming events:
July 10, MATI meeting with Randy R., CPC chair

July 26, Racine area health fair

Today’s meeting:
Meeting together with CPC: so much overlap in these areas, meeting together is very functional and I suggest the practice continue.

Question and answer regarding the proposal for developing a policy for showing/not showing full faces of actors portraying AAs. For those with an opinion regarding development of such a policy, please see Stu and fill out a questionnaire.

Great to hear what our districts are doing with CPC and PI. Lots of enthusiasm over the AA at the VA conference in October. And also seeing some PSAs on a digital outdoor system. The message is simple and well done, and utilized the GSO guidelines for PI.

Discussion about the future of the area 75 website: The committee recommends that the website grow in the following ways:

Discussion and plans to meet with PI, CPC, intergroups/central offices, and area webmaster to facilitate collaboration on website and access to literature for area service events.

Please contact me regarding any events in your district or to assist in any PI efforts.


Our Special Needs standing Committee Meeting at the Spring Conference, shared with Treatment, had good attendance between Treatment and Special Needs.  Bryan (Special Needs Chair from District 12), Tami (Special Needs Chair from District 34) and Tom (Special Needs Chair from District 20) participated in our Committee Meeting.  We shared different experiences each has had within their own Districts.  We also started a great brainstorming discussion as to how we can do a better job reaching out to various organizations (such as Council of the Blind) to Carry The Message of Special Needs A.A.  Tom graciously agreed to pool some of his expertise of different organizations and provide that information to us during our next Committee meeting.  We talked about drafting a letter and/or using past letters, including those provided by GSO, which is to be explored in more detail during our next Committee meeting.  We continue to welcome networking opportunities between our Special Needs Committee Members and hope to see even more members next time!
We also discussed the future opportunity to solicit stories for a Special Needs pamphlet per the anticipated request from GSO as presented by Stu in is Delegate's Report.  I have not yet received the request from GSO.     
I shared my experience, strength and hope at the request of DCM Tom from District 1 (Tomah) on 06/05/09.  This was a great opportunity and I was able to meet with Walter (Special Needs Chair from District 1) to discuss how Special Needs issues were going and to offer my assistance. 
I plan to follow up with District's 24 & 8 to attend their respective meetings, as previously requested before my surgery, as I am now healthy to do so.   
Please do not hesitate to contact me regarding any Special Needs service items you may have.

Committee Meeting 6/28/09
Our meeting today discussed different Special Need’s concerns and how to best manage them. We continue to explore possible opportunities to extend the Special Needs hand of AA. We are asking Districts in Area 75 to please email me an organization name and address where you presently already are, and considering placing AA Literature. Our committee wants this information for consideration to add a Special Needs contact flyer with AA Literature.

I am very excited to learn more and more Districts are filling their Special Needs Chairs. DCMs – please do not forget to send me your Special Need’s contact information.
Respectfully Submitted,
Lee Ann F

CPC CHAIR – Randy R.

The Area 75 CPC was invited to set up our exhibit booth at the 2nd Annual VA Women’s Health Fair on April 29th, 2009. I made sure that the material was delivered and set up. Since this was a Women’s Health Fair I did not attend. Joan J., Cheryl M., Sharon F., Beth K., Loretta M. and Jo Mc. set up and ran the exhibit. At the end of the day I returned to help dismantle and retrieve the Areas property and I was informed of a great success. Many professional s visited our booth and asked questions. Some were Doctors, Councilors, Interns, Staff and other professional’s. A total of sixteen “Blue Cards were filled out and (data mined by the CPC) and mailed into the General Service Office. We are looking forward to returning their next year for the 3rd Annual VA Women’s Health Fair.

Area 75 CPC Chair attended the 59th Annual Spring Conference on May 15th, 16th and 17th. The Conference was in my opinion a great success, with great speakers from the Friday night speaker all the way through to Sunday Morning. Our Saturday afternoon gathering of the CPC’s and PI’s Standing Committee (Members) Meeting had an excellent turn out and I believe it was a proactive and informative meeting. The chairs had a good discussion with many questions being asked. Our Delegate and our newly elected East Central Regional Trustee Pamela R also sat in at our Standing Committee Meeting and I believe Stu and Pam would both agree that there was plenty of positive energy being generated at this meeting.

After leaving on Sunday I went back to my home and unp3acked my suitcase and immediately packed up all our Area 75 CPC Exhibit material and headed out to the Olympia Resort in Oconomowoc for the Wisconsin Association on Alcohol and Other Drug Abuse (WAAODA) Conference. The cost of the WAAODA Conference was shared with the generosity of District 32. Our thanks to District 32 for the financial help with the WAAODA Conference which in turn ultimately reach’s out to the many in need. I would also like to thank the booth volunteers Mark G (Dst 32) and Fred K. (Area 75 Treatment Chair), I really appreciated there help.
Upon arriving at the Resort I soon found that I was the first to show and set up our Exhibit. This became an unexpected bonus by choosing the most prime location in the exhibitor’s room. We were the first Exhibit as you walked into the room. The opening bell began at 715 am and I found myself overwhelmed almost immediately with three to four people deep at our exhibit. By eleven a.m. I was running out of literature. By the end of the three day conference we had gone though a total of 1,196 individual piece of literature. The individual breakdown of literature is as follows:

Attached to the Following Page

The RED Column is the WAAODA Conference and listed in red is the individual pieces of literature handed out. The GREEN column is the quick purchase of more literature before the Wisconsin Department of Corrections, Division of Community Corrections, of Female Offenders Resource Fair began. The BLUE is the individual amount of literature distributed at the Wisconsin Department of Corrections, Division of Community Corrections, of Female Offenders Resource Fair (WDC,DCC,FO) held on June 17th, 2009.

This Resource Fair was brought to my attention by our Delegate (Stu). I could not attend due to vacation plans with my family. Stu graciously and with out hesitation volunteered to take my place. Stu and Les M. (Area 75 Corrections Chair) took the exhibit to the WDC,DCC,FO and with great success accomplished our task. Les did a great job speaking personally too many of the Parole Officers in attendance and collecting blue cards and literature mailing labels from all who wanted to fill them out.  All our hosts had originally set up for us was a table space shared with another exhibitor.  But Stu asked for and got additional space for one rack and some books at a table across the aisle.  Stu said they could not get through the aisle without coming within two feet of either Les or him!  Stu and Les managed to talk too many about their cases and to give them literature which would be most useful to them individually.  Specialty assignments ran the gamut from max security offender caseloads to young adult.

This is new! I will soon be attending the Milwaukee Addiction Treatment Initiative meeting scheduled for July 10th, 2009. I was invited by an Al-Anon Member Cheryl M. to attend. After reviewing the Web Site for the Milwaukee Addiction Treatment Initiative I believe this may have the potential for Alcoholics Anonymous’ input and support. We will soon find out and I will report my findings.

Today, June 29th, 2009 at the Summer Meeting in Monona we had an excellent turn out at our Standing Committee Meeting. Approximately 22 PI or CPC Chair’s showed form various Districts. We had an excellent sharing session and when I left that meeting I got a true understanding as to how it works. The amount of work and effort shared by the PI’s and CPC’s is truly gratifying to say the least. My hat is off to all who shared with me today. Keep up your excellent work.

If your District is planning an event for 2009 please contact the Area 75 chair. Training, support and literature can be acquired through the Area Committee. Visits to your district are as easy as a phone call or an e-mail. Each DCM is expected to notify the Area CPC with any new contact information of their district CPC chair rotations. Education to the professionals about what AA does and does not do is invaluable to the alcoholic who still suffers. Remember we focus on professional’s that come into contact with these still suffering individuals.

Thank you to all the Districts that have been e-mailing their minutes to me, this has become a great tool to update my lists and e-mail addresses.

My greatest reward for being the Area 75 CPC Chair is to visit other Districts and meet the people (and there are many) who are involved in SERVICE, what an honor.

I am looking forward to seeing all of you at the Fall Pre-Conference in Madison.

With Sincere Gratitude
Randy Rogness
Area 75 CPC Chair


The Archives room is open from noon until 4 pm the 1st and 3rd Sunday of the month. We are closed September 6th and the month of December. The Archives room is located at 7109 West Orchard St., West Allis, WI 53214.

Area 75 Archives 4th Annual Movie Day will be Sunday, August 23, 2009 Noon – 4:00. Movie Day will be held at the Archives room. At 12:15 we will be watching House Full of Miracles; 1:00 I’ll Cry Tomorrow – Biographical film that tells the story of Lillian Roth, who battled alcoholism as she worked her way to Broadway stardom. After her fall from fame to an alcoholic existence on LA’s Skid Row, she fought her way back with the help of Alcoholics Anonymous; 3:15 Chalk Talk – Father Martin; 4:00 Raffle Drawing – To Uphold AA Traditions: Only AA members may purchase the 50 cent raffle tickets. You don’t have to be present to win.

Area 75 is very privileged and honored to have received Dave D’s Grapevine collection consisting of Grapevines from 1959 to 2009. Dave donated his collection May 30th at the District 25 Grapevine Workshop in Fond du Lac. At Dave’s request, these Grapevines are accessible for all to enjoy at the Archives room. Thanks again Dave!

There are some Districts that consistently send their meeting minutes. A few Districts even send their flyers for workshops and their District’s When and Where’s. The key word is “some.” There are fewer Districts sending information than there was a year ago.

To help each District we are providing an index today of the materials Area 75 has in your District’s binder. The binder is displayed at Conferences and available to look through at the Archives room. Please take the time to look it over. Perhaps you or others in your district would be willing to search for missing district meeting minutes. It is also a nice addition to add other materials to your binder. Districts can include anything they want. Some districts binders include district conference or workshop flyers; conference or workshop program; District meeting lists; letters to, or from the District; District members contact list (These are kept Confidential). Everything helps to build the Archives for those that are still to come.

Why does Are 75 spend funds on Archives and is it really worth it? There are as many answers to that question as there are members in AA. There have been many people who have found answers to their questions in the materials collected. Everything from past Area 75 conferences; when their home group began; and the start of AA.

In 1957 Bill Wilson stated: We are trying to build up extensive records which will be of value to a future historian…It is highly important that the factual material be placed in our files in such a way that there can be no substantial distortion…We want to keep enlarging on this idea for the sake of the full length history to com…

So What’s the Point?

We Won’t Know Where We Are Going If We Don’t Know Where We Are

We Can’t Know Where We Are IF We Don’t Know Where We Have Been

If anyone has access to, or knows someone who can donate office dividers (cubical walls) for the Archives Room, could you please call me or Nancy?

When sending names to archives, full names would be encourages, as we do keep them confidential, and at the same time full names are very important for Archives.

Thank-you for the opportunity to serve you.
Area 75 Archives Chair: Dave K.
Area 75 Archivist: Nancy S.


Good Morning! My name is Grapevine Guy and I’m an alcoholic. Actually, my name is George and I am your panel 59 Grapevine Chair. I am grateful for the opportunity to serve the fellowship in Area 75.

My activities since our pre-conference Assembly on April 19 are as follow:

  1. On April 25, I attended the District 8 workshop in Beloit. I set up the Area 75 Grapevine display and spoke on a panel.

  2. On April 26, I attended the District 32 workshop in Waukesha. I shared my recovery story as the main speaker and also shared about the Grapevine.

  3. On May 1, I spoke at the Courage to Live group which meets at the VA hospital in Tomah. Again, I spoke about my recovery, my history of service to AA in Area 75 and the Grapevine.

  4. I attended the Area 75 Spring Conference in Racine on May 15-17. I set up the Area Grapevine display. I want to compliment the conference committee on putting on what I recall as the best conference I’ve ever attended.

  5. On June 5, I attended the District 8 GSR meeting in Beloit. They allowed me a time to share about my service history and especially about the Grapevine and how it can be used in our recovery efforts.

  6. On June 29, I am scheduled to speak at the Beginners and Thumpers Pot-luck and Open speaker meeting in Beloit.

I want to extend my sincere thanks for the invitations and opportunities I have been given to share my experience, strength and hope and to talk about the AA Grapevine.

And now, speaking of the AA-Grapevine, that’s what it said on the label of my multiple copy envelope of the July Grapevine which arrived at my home a couple weeks ago. I knew that fur was going to fly. I received the following in an email reply from Robin B., the editor of the Grapevine, through Stu, our Delegate: “There is no legal provision in our contract about anonymity, but it is a policy we emphasize with vendors – and with good results, with this unfortunate exception.

It was the result of an unfortunate confluence of changes — a new address, a new account manager, and a new system – the kind of situations where mistakes happened. We work closely with major vendors and monitor the business very closely, and have had a history of good service with them, so we do not expect problems going forward.

The printer responded quickly and did the mailing to subscribers for us. So we expect them to be careful going forward.”

When the envelope arrived, I knew that a mistake had been made and that some people were going to be uncomfortable. But we alcoholics, like all other homo sapiens, are human and fallible. Let’s have faith that our trusted servants will act decisively and responsibly and that this particular mistake will not be repeated.

Finally, let me issue a final reminder that the price of the Grapevine goes up from $20 to $27 on July 1. You still have two days to renew your subscription or buy subscriptions at the lower rate.

Thank you for the privilege of serving the Fellowship of AA in Area 75 as your Grapevine chair. I would be happy to address any questions you may have.

George Possley, Area 75 Grapevine Chair


Recommendations from the 2009 Conference Committee on Literature:

The revised pamphlet, “The AA Member – Medications and Other Drugs,” which was reviewed by the Conference Literature Committee, was returned to the trustees’ Literature Committee for further discussion. Additionally, the 2010 Conference Literature Committee will discuss developing Conference-approved literature that focuses on spirituality and includes stories from atheists and agnostics who are successfully staying sober in Alcoholics Anonymous.

The new A.A. Conference-approved Literature and Other Service Material Catalog is available on the back table by the Area 75 Literature Display. Please take a copy for your group or district if you haven’t received one in the mail already.

Please note that the 2010-2011 Western U.S., Eastern U.S. and Canada A.A. directories will not be published this year. The 2008-2009 issue will continue to be distributed.

A digital subscription of Box 459 is now available at no charge. If anyone is interested, they can visit G.S.O.’s A.A. Website (www.aa.org) to subscribe. For those of you new to service, Box 459 is G.S.O.’s quarterly “news & notes” bulletin. There will now be a Fall, Winter, Spring and Summer issue. To commemorate the Big Book’s 70th anniversary, Box 459 will feature an article on the Big Book in the Fall issue. Check your mailboxes this August!

The G.S.O. rotates the staff assignments every two years; effective July 1st Julio E. will be the incoming Literature Coordinator replacing Eva S.

The 2010 International Convention of Alcoholics Anonymous will be held July 1-4 in San Antonio, Texas with the theme “A Vision for You.”  A.A. members and guests from around the world will celebrate A.A.’s 75th year at this event with big meetings held Friday night, Saturday night and Sunday morning in the Alamodome.  Other meetings, scheduled or informal, will take place throughout the weekend in the San Antonio Convention Center and local hotels. 
Convention registration and housing reservations will open in fall 2009.  All necessary information will be included in the registration packet which will be available in September 2009.  This packet will list numbers to call for answers to specific questions about housing, the program, tours, etc.  The information will be mailed to A.A. groups, offices and contacts around the world and posted on the Web site. 

In Service,

John B. – Area 75 Alternate Delegate & Literature Chair


No written report provided, just a verbal report.

MAICO – Ken G.

The Madison Area Intergroup Central Office (MAICO) is a full-service central office that helps coordinate and facilitate communication and cooperation among individual A.A. groups, area 12-step and other committees, and components of the A.A. service structure. MAICO provides needed services that are beyond the scope and ability of any individual A.A. group, and is at all times responsible to the groups it serves.

The office receives calls for 12 Step work, meeting information, directions to meetings, and service opportunities to name only a few.

Yesterday the MAICO Reps hosted a breakfast and speaker meeting which was well-attended and enjoyed by all. The MAICO Reps hope to host an event quarterly.

Two upcoming events are:
  1. 4th Annual MAICO Reps picnic, 8 August
  2. 13th Annual Young Timers / Old Timers Workshop, 14 November

You can find flyers for all on the MAICO Website at www.aamadisonwi.org

The MAICO Steering Committee just finished revising our bylaws and presented the changes to the MAICO Reps yesterday. This begins a two-month process for the reps to approve or reject the changes.

If your district would like your district minutes placed on the MAICO website, or your events placed in the “Calendar of Events”, please send an electronic copy of the minutes and/or events to Diane. MAICO’s contact information is shown below.

Madison Area Intergroup Central Office
6033 Monona Drive, Madison, WI 53716
(608) 222-8989, maico@tds.net, www.aamadisonwi.org

SPRING 2009 CONFERENCE RECAP – Barb W. for Dennis

The conference was a smashing success. A fine time seemed to be had by all who attended.

On Friday Night we had 275 people for the speaker.

Karaoke was enjoyed until about 1AM.

Saturday evening we had 199 for dinner. Another 200 chairs were set up for the speaker.

People enjoyed the live band until they ended around mid-night..

Sunday morning we had 125 for breakfast. An additional 70 came for the speaker.

Our net income came to $3,239.93

Of that
$452.15 were hospitality donations
$525.00 were Bill W. donations
$241.83 were other donations

We budgeted for 450 registrations. 541 people registered

Budget Actual with gratuity
Dinner $35 $30.68 (this is an average, as 3 meals were offered)
Breakfast $15 $18


Good afternoon everyone. My Name is Jeff Z. and I am an alcoholic. I am you co-chair for the Fall 2009 Conference being held at the Heidel House Resort in Greenlake, Wisconsin – November 6, 7, and 8, 2009. Registration flyers are and have been available since the Spring Conference in Racine this past May. WE have already received 24 registrations. Please be mindful when filling the form out that there is a place to make a donation to the Bill W. fund. A fund which makes it possible for those suffering financial hardship to attend and participate. No one will be turned away. A reminder too when booking your room at the Heidel House to mention the password (Area 75 Fall Conference) that way the committee receives room booking credit and you receive the special room rate of $109 + tax per night more than double occupancy add just $5 per person per night. For more info go to www.area75.org or email fallconference@charter.net

It’s an honor and a privilege to be of services.

Respectfully submitted,

Jeff Z.
2009 Fall Conference Co-Chair.

SPRING 2010 CONFERENCE CHAIR – John C. for Robert S.

Brief announcements on flyers. No written report submitted.

SPRING 2011 CONFERENCE CHAIR – Terry R. for Ken N.

All chairs filled. Conference dates not available from Terry. Written report not submitted.


Area 75 Spring Conference Report

4-6 May 2012
Contract signed by Nancy G.
Room rate: $109/night
Mariott West, Madison, WI

Organizational meeting took place June 16, 2009. All present received a copy of the Conference guidelines. The chair and co-chair for the conference were decided as follows:

Chair: Dave S.*
Co-Chair: Penny R.*

*Previous Program Chair and Co-Chair, respectively.


No report.


No proposals submitted.


Pre-Conference Assembly – September 27, 2009 – District 13

The coffee volunteer is to take the coffee supplies with them at the end of today’s meeting and replenish supplies from the donation can if needed. Coffee pots are supplied by the Madison Center, which opens at 8:00 AM the day of the event. The coffee volunteer is responsible for clean up of the coffee pots and transfer of supplies to the next volunteer at the end of the day.



ICYPAA Announcement – Chris L.

Cindy H. – Put badges on the table.

Stu E. – Thank-you to Greater Milwaukee Central Office.

The meeting closed at 2:00 pm with the Responsibility Declaration:

When anyone, anywhere reaches out, I want the hand of A.A. always to be there, and for that; I am responsible!”

Upcoming events:

08/07/09 thru 08/09/09 - ECR Conference in Peoria, IL

09/27/09 - Pre-Conference Assembly at the Madison Senior Center

11/06/09 thru 11/08/09 - Fall Conference in Green Lake (Area Inventory)

11/13/09 thru 11/15/09 - ECR Forum in Kalamazoo, MI